Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:23:39 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gcc 4.6.1

Solar,

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 20:12 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Given your recent commits, what's the readiness status for Owl moving to
> gcc 4.6.1?  What packages still fail to build, if any?

In the first buildworld run all packages are buildable on x86_64.  On
i386 glibc still fails (an assembler issue).

> Are there any known runtime issues with Owl packages rebuilt with gcc
> 4.6.1?

Currently the rebuilded groff segfaults.  The issue is somewhere in glibc
symbol table (__sincos() calls itself forever).  I'm afraid there will
be more such weird issues - we should update glibc itself soon.

I'll likely change glibc fix - patch "inline" instances instead of
passing -fgnu89-inline in CFLAGS.

>  And what testing did you perform?  Perhaps just multiple
> buildworld iterations?

Yes, I'll test it this way.

> Also, can you please post your updated gcc.spec, along with info on any
> issues with it (what you think remains to be done, etc.) such that we
> can prepare it for commit?  Are you packaging gcc's new files, such as
> the libgomp stuff?

I'll post spec files tomorrow (there are minor issues I'll fix myself).

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy