Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 20:55:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: hardlink

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 08:38:41PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> I didn't look at hardlink usage, but does it run at RPM build stage or
> at %post?

I think ALT's macros invoke hardlink at %install, but I did not review
them, nor verify this.  Whatever they do, it's their thing - not
specific to the hardlink program itself - and we may use the program the
way we choose to.

> If the former, it would fail in case user has divided the
> disk other way, e.g. separate /usr/ would deny hardlinking /bin/bla and
> /usr/bin/blabla.  Or probably this case is somehow handled?

I think this case is irrelevant to package builds.  The %buildroot tree
is assumed not to cross filesystem boundaries.  With our buildworld.sh,
this is a directory created by that script.

It may happen that an RPM package has hardlinks in it, but those end up
going to different target filesystems when the package is being
installed on a given system.  I guess this case is handled by RPM (by
not using hardlinks then).

Alexander