Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 17:00:15 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gcc update

Georgi,

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 02:23:52PM +0300, Georgi Geshev wrote:
> There are several GCC -Wunused-* flags combined with -Werror that cause
> various packages not to build properly. For example, here's an excerpt from
> the elfutils-libelf build log -
> common.h:115:1: error: 'libelf_acquire_all' defined but not used
> [-Werror=unused-function]
> common.h:134:1: error: 'libelf_release_all' defined but not used
> [-Werror=unused-function]
> cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
> How should I proceed? Should I prepare and apply an appropriate patch or

Ideally, yes.  Call it -owl-warnings.diff.  You may look at some
existing ones first:

host!build:~/native/Owl/packages$ ls */*-owl-warnings.diff | wc -l
25

Perhaps wrap those unused functions in #if 0 ... #endif, or in #if
checks for the proper conditional defines (if the functions are in fact
used by some differently-configured build).  You may find some examples
of this with:

fgrep '#if' */*-owl-warnings.diff

> maybe remove / replace the offensive flags.

This is also an option - perhaps for packages where fixing all of those
individual issues would be time-consuming.

Whatever you do, please note that it is highly preferable for the
packages to build both with gcc 3.4.5 and gcc 4.6.0+.  That way, we'll
be able to commit those build fixes first.  For a few packages this
might not be possible - build fixes for those will have to be committed
along with the gcc update itself - but I'd like to minimize the number
of those (ideally, it'd be zero).

Thanks,

Alexander