Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 18:10:15 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: move to ISOLINUX (was: CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA disabled on x86_64?)

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 11:01:07PM +0400, mjt@....msk.ru wrote:
> FWIW, there's a new driver for these devices now, called, hpsa, which
> is enabled on x86-64 for sure.  See http://cciss.sourceforge.net/ for
> all the details.  The main difference between the two is that hpsa is
> an scsi driver, while cciss is (was?) a block device.  So _finally_ the
> mess with cciss devices is nearing its end.

Thanks for the info.

> 07.05.2011 19:37, Solar Designer wrote:
> > Anyway, to make room for it in the x86_64 kernel, we'll need to disable
> > something else...
>
> Why?  Yes that driver is somewhat large, but do we have size constraints?

Unfortunately, we still do.  In our ISOs, we use El Torito 2.88 MB
floppy disk images.  I think we need to move to ISOLINUX and
non-emulated CD boot, even though this means dropping support for
CD-booting on some old machines.  I'd appreciate a patch against our
native tree that will make this change cleanly (suitable for commit) -
including introduction of ISOLINUX as a new package, changes to the
owl-cdrom package and to makeiso.sh.  Perhaps some other changes will be
needed as well...

Also, I'd appreciate some info on what kinds of machines we'll be
dropping support for CD-booting on with this move.  My gut feeling is
that none of the Pentium Pro machines (produced in 1990s, yet still
theoretically supported by Owl so far) will boot a non-ElTorito CD.
That's fine.  But what about the various Pentium II and Pentium III
machines?  I think the P3 ones still matter a little bit.  My gut
feeling is that some (if not all?) of them won't boot non-ElTorito CDs,
but I did no research.  And what about P4 and newer?

Thanks,

Alexander