Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 05:11:10 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: LAMP

Galaxy,

We readily have Apache/MySQL/PHP and related packages in the non-public
Owl-extra repository mostly maintained by you.  We need to consider them
for integration into Owl (with changes).  I'd like to try and introduce
a new developer for this task (and more).

Should we just tar up the entire Owl-extra native tree and let the new
developer figure out what packages and .rpmmacros additions are required
by Owl-extra's Apache/MySQL/PHP?

Alternatively, we could let you prepare a proposal/patch for inclusion
into Owl, or we could ask Vasiliy to figure things out and do that, but
I think it is wrong in that it'd result in a delay in getting the new
developer involved.

It is important for us to figure the Apache/MySQL/PHP dependencies out
early on because it might affect our choice of a package repository
manager (Zypper, yum, or apt) - we'd want to choose one with fewer extra
dependencies (on top of what we'll have for other reasons anyway).  For
example, Vasiliy found that Zypper needs libxml2 (among other things).
We don't currently have libxml2 in Owl, but perhaps we'll need to
introduce it for a PHP module to build anyway.  If so, it will no longer
be a drawback of Zypper for us.

Please comment on this promptly.

Thanks,

Alexander