Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 04:20:17 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: gcc update

Georgi,

Here's a task you can get started with:

Update gcc in Owl to 4.6.0 and see what other packages fail to build
(and how) with the new gcc.  Communicate this info to owl-dev.

You may either use a custom build of gcc like this:

http://openwall.info/wiki/internal/gcc-local-build

or better yet you may update Owl's gcc.spec right away.  When doing the
latter, please fully drop support for languages other than C and C++.
(We had such support, disabled by default, in gcc.spec for years, but
very few people ever made use of it, if any, and those who possibly did
could as well make a custom build of gcc without our gcc.spec.)

I think you will also need to add gmp, mpfr, and mpc.  Please add them
as separate Owl packages, using the latest stable versions (as long as
those are compatible with gcc 4.6.0, which I hope they are).

Before you start creating the RPM spec files, please read
Owl/doc/CONVENTIONS in our native tree.  Also, you may want to look at
the corresponding packages in Fedora and ALT Linux - there may be
desirable patches to import, etc.

Fedora:
http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/distro-patches#fedora

ALT Linux:
http://sisyphus.ru/en/srpm/Sisyphus/gmp

(That's just an example.)

Do you accept?  Can we expect initial results from you this week?

Thanks,

Alexander