Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 01:05:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: absolute symlinks

Gremlin,

Thank you for reporting this, but these symlinks are made absolute on
purpose.  So they will stay that way.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:19:27AM +0300, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> Link		Points to		Should point to
>
> /usr/tmp	/tmp			../tmp
> /var/tmp	/tmp			../tmp

* Tue Dec 14 2010 Solar Designer <solar-at-owl.openwall.com> 1.1-owl1
- Changed the /usr/tmp and /var/tmp symlinks to be absolute such that /var/tmp
works even when /var itself is a symlink (perhaps to a directory on a
filesystem shared with another part of the system).  Thanks to (GalaxyMaster)
for noticing the problem with relative symlinks.

> /dev/fd		/proc/self/fd		../proc/self/fd
> /dev/core	/proc/kcore		../proc/kcore

* Thu Sep 02 2010 Solar Designer <solar-at-owl.openwall.com> 0.14-owl1
- Make the /dev/core and /dev/fd symlinks to under /proc absolute such that
they're not broken when /dev is moved in owl-cdrom (this reverts the change
made in 0.10-owl1).

> /etc/rmt	/usr/libexec/rmt	../usr/libexec/rmt

# Can't have relative symlinks out of /etc as it's moved under /ram on CDs
ln -s %_libexecdir/rmt %buildroot/etc/

Arguably, we need to use a different approach to our LiveCDs (perhaps a
filesystem that would copy to RAM on write), but until we do, those
symlinks are to stay that way, and I don't see much of a problem with
that.  Also, /var/tmp and /usr/tmp are more convenient to have as
absolute symlinks.

Alexander