Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:10:56 -0600
From: Douglas Hains <dhains@...colostate.edu>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GSoC John the Ripper project

Hello all,

I'm very interested in the John the Ripper tasks, specifically
parallelization of the hashing on GPUs.  I was hoping to get in contact with
someone from your project who is interested in mentoring these tasks or
would be able to chat with me more about the tasks.

I have experience in programming for GPUs on a variety of models of NVIDIA
cards and have worked with multi-GPU programming on clusters of Fermi and
Tesla cards.  I also have experience using both OpenMP and MPI and am
interested in combining both GPU parallelization and host side
parallelization through MPI.   To me, the most interesting aspect of these
kinds of projects is finding the optimal granularity of parallelization and
performing a kind of dynamic load balancing through allocation of tasks to
the available compute nodes and/or GPUs.   This would be the main focus of
my proposal.

I have questions about the expected scope of a JtR tasks proposal and the
platforms, architectures and compilers that would be acceptable to be used
for this project.

Apologies for double posting to both lists, I was not sure which was the
best to send a GSoC related post, so I sent to both :-)

Regards,
Doug Hains.

Content of type "text/html" skipped