Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:40:55 +0300
From: "(GalaxyMaster)" <galaxy@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dependencies on kernel

Gremlin,

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 11:34:20AM +0300, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> root@...t:~ # rpm -e kernel kernel-headers
> I think all these dependencies should be removed, thus allowing the use of
> locally built kernels without garbaging the system (yes, I know of "--nodeps"
> option to `rpm -e`).

I think Solar has already replied to a similar message of yours.  It
looks like you are missing the point of having the kernel-headers
package.  This package is irrelevant to the kernel you are building.
The main purpose is to supply the user with headers that were used at
the compile time of glibc and other parts of Owl, and if you follow your
approach of building packages with headers from a newer kernel -- you
might experience some weird behaviour.

All in all, I think there is some misunderstanding on your part and the
kernel-headers package in Owl is good and should be preserved as is.

> Also, these symlinks looks like a better way:
>
> /usr/include/asm -> ../src/linux/include/asm/
>
> So changing just one /usr/src/linux symlink changes all the headers.

... and introduces a possible interface incompatibilities between
packages linked with old headers (the whole Owl) and packages you build
using new headers.. Huh, this is not nice :).

--
(GM)