Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:52:10 -0300
From: Georgia Garcia <georgia.garcia@...onical.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux: Disabling network namespaces

On Sun, 2024-04-14 at 21:08 +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Many Linux kernel vulnerabilities including the recently exploited
> Netfilter CVE-2024-1086 require CAP_NET_ADMIN in a namespace, yet a
> typically recommended mitigation is to disable user namespaces (not just
> network namespaces).
>
> Further, while on Debian/Ubuntu it is possible to disable just
> unprivileged user namespaces with the Debian-specific sysctl
> kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=0, on other distros we'd have to use
> user.max_user_namespaces=0, which (unnecessarily) prevents starting of
> containers even by root.

I just wanted to add that in the Ubuntu Noble Numbat release we are
using AppArmor to restrict unprivileged user namespaces.

Applications that don't have an AppArmor profile will use a default
profile which denies the use of capabilities within the user namespace.
Applications that need to use capabilities will have to be confined by
a profile. Since we understand that creating an AppArmor profile might
not be a trivial task for large programs, we introduced the
"unconfined" flag which makes the profile act as if it were unconfined
from the perspective of AppArmor, allowing all operations.

There are more details here:
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/noble-numbat-release-notes/39890#unprivileged-user-namespace-restrictions-13