Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:37:44 +0200
From: Jakub Wilk <jwilk@...lk.net>
To: <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to
 ssh server compromise

* Jonathan Schleifer <js@....im>, 2024-03-30 17:17:
>I replaced the sed in here:
>
>sed \"r\n\" $gl_am_configmake | eval $gl_path_map |
>$gl_localedir_prefix -d 2>/dev/null
>
>With a simple cat, as I could not make sed work. This worries me as it
>means there is probably some other transformation that I'm missing that
>would have made the sed work.

It's confusing because there are two layers of eval involved. You
actually end up running:

   sed rn ...

The "r" command means "read from file"; but there's no file named "n",
so this is no-op.

The sed command is not completely equivalent to cat though: it appends a
newline, because the original file didn't end with one. This trailing
garbage slightly upsets xz(1):

     xz: (stdin): Unexpected end of input

(You normally wouldn't see this warning, thanks to generous use of
"2>/dev/null" in build-to-host.m4.)

--
Jakub Wilk