Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:28:39 +0200
From: Alejandro Colomar <alx@...nel.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Sam James <sam@...too.org>, Joey Hess <id@...yh.name>,
	Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@...il.com>,
	Andres Freund <andres@...razel.de>,
	Lasse Collin <lasse.collin@...aani.org>, xz@...aani.org,
	secalert@...hat.com, team@...urity.debian.org
Subject: Re: Analysis on who is Jia Tan, and who he could work for, reading
 xz.git

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 05:16:52AM +0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Regarding <https://tukaani.org/xz-backdoor/>
>
> I've been researching xz.git to learn about this malicious actor, and
> who he might have worked for.
>
> This Jia Tan seems to work mostly with the +0800 timezone:
>
> 	$ git log --all --author 'Jia Tan' \
> 	| grep ^Date \
> 	| grep -o '[+-][0-9][0-9][0-9]0' \
> 	| sort \
> 	| uniq -c;
> 	      4 +0200
> 	     10 +0300
> 	    676 +0800
>
> According to <https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/>, in the summer,
> +0800 corresponds to China, or Taiwan, or Hong Kong, or Irkutsk (Russia),
> or Philippines or other small countries around it.  None of the regions
> in +0800 use DST.

For completeness, the list of tz database time zones that have +0800,
according to
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones>, are:

AQ 	Antarctica/Casey
BN 	Asia/Brunei
MN 	Asia/Choibalsan
CN 	Asia/Chongqing
CN 	Asia/Chungking
CN 	Asia/Harbin
HK 	Asia/Hong_Kong
RU 	Asia/Irkutsk
MY 	Asia/Kuala_Lumpur
MY, BN 	Asia/Kuching
MO 	Asia/Macao
MO 	Asia/Macau
ID 	Asia/Makassar
PH 	Asia/Manila
CN 	Asia/Shanghai
SG, MY 	Asia/Singapore
TW 	Asia/Taipei
ID 	Asia/Ujung_Pandang
MN 	Asia/Ulaanbaatar
MN 	Asia/Ulan_Bator
AU 	Australia/Perth
AU 	Australia/West
HK 	Hongkong
CN 	PRC
TW 	ROC
SG 	Singapore

> +0300 corresponds to, among others, Israel and Moscow, and then a bunch

And the time zones that have +0300 in the summer and +0200 in the
winter are:

EG 	Africa/Cairo
LB 	Asia/Beirut
CY 	Asia/Famagusta
PS 	Asia/Gaza
PS 	Asia/Hebron
IL 	Asia/Jerusalem
CY 	Asia/Nicosia
IL 	Asia/Tel_Aviv
EG 	Egypt
GR 	Europe/Athens
RO 	Europe/Bucharest
MD 	Europe/Chisinau
FI, AX 	Europe/Helsinki
UA 	Europe/Kiev
UA 	Europe/Kyiv
AX 	Europe/Mariehamn
CY 	Europe/Nicosia
LV 	Europe/Riga
BG 	Europe/Sofia
EE 	Europe/Tallinn
MD 	Europe/Tiraspol
UA 	Europe/Uzhgorod
LT 	Europe/Vilnius
UA 	Europe/Zaporozhye
IL 	Israel

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)