Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 23:00:48 -0500
From: Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: xz backdoor prevention using hosts.deny?

Ángel wrote:
> On 2024-04-03 at 03:31 +0000, Nick Sal wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Assume we filter SSH access only to a public domain subnet using the
>> files hosts.{deny,allow} as seen below.
>> Would this prevent an attack if a malicious payload was *not* sent
>> from the allowed subnet?
>> Trying to figure out if an attack like this was still possible, for
>> the few days in March the backdoor was active and undetected in
>> rolling distros (e..g. debian testing).
>>
>> /etc/hosts.deny:  sshd: ALL
>> /etc/hosts.allow: sshd: "a_subnet"
>>

> If your sshd uses libwrap, blocking access except from that subnet
> (I would check it is indeed doing what you expect, by trying from an
> external ip) then yes, it would protect from that.
> The libwrap filtering happens before the exchange identification.

Does libwrap filtering happen in the sshd process?  If so, do not be so
certain.

>> Moreover, allowing only public-key authentication for SSH does not
>> help, isn't this right?
>>

> Right. It doesn't help in this case, since the backdoor happens at the
> preauth phase, when it would be validating the provided public key
> (certificate).

I am not so sure about this.  The original discovery of this backdoor
observed a slowdown in refusing a session for a nonexistent account
using only SSH publickey auth, *not* SSH certificate auth.  Reports have
also suggested that testing began after common botnet scans were
observed to be causing sshd to use an inordinate amount of CPU time.  I
doubt botnets are presenting certificates either.

I am unsure how sshd would call RSA_public_decrypt in those situations,
which suggests that the backdoor blob is more complex than we currently
think.  In fact, I would expect sshd to reject the connection without
ever attempting to verify a signature if the requested account does not
exist, yet a significant delay in that rejection led to the discovery of
the backdoor.  (Lead the client through a fake exchange to hide that the
account does not exist, sure, but a non-existent account has no
.ssh/authorized_keys file, so where would sshd get a public key for
verification?)

-- Jacob