Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 01:51:35 -0000 (UTC)
From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: finding similar compromises (was Re: From xz to ibus: more
 questionable tarballs)

On 2024-04-01, HW42 wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> great that you are looking for further problems. (Just to be clear, I'm
> not associated with ibus in any way.)

Yes, agreed. In the interests of discussing things in the open after
just complaining about embargoes... :)

It occurred to me that I could grep around in an SKS dump for any keys
that had similar options that Jia Tan used -- algorithm preferences and
so on -- and see if any jumped out as suspicious.

I figure SKS is kinda obscure, so maybe nobody else checked... or maybe
I'm late to the party, or maybe this is obvious -- I'm not an IR guy :)

Here are the options Jia used in his package signing key:

:signature packet: algo 1, keyid 59FCF207FEA7F445
    version 4, created 1672241009, md5len 0, sigclass 0x13
    digest algo 10, begin of digest c9 92
    hashed subpkt 9 len 4 (key expires after 5y0d0h0m)
    hashed subpkt 11 len 4 (pref-sym-algos: 9 8 7 2)
    hashed subpkt 21 len 5 (pref-hash-algos: 10 9 8 11 2)
    hashed subpkt 22 len 3 (pref-zip-algos: 2 3 1)
    hashed subpkt 30 len 1 (features: 01)
    hashed subpkt 23 len 1 (keyserver preferences: 80)
    subpkt 16 len 8 (issuer key ID 59FCF207FEA7F445)
    data: [4096 bits]

That date is:

$ date --utc --date @1672241009
Wed Dec 28 03:23:29 PM UTC 2022

I think the default is 3072 bits and 2y expiry, which has been the
default since 2020:

https://wiki.gnupg.org/LargeKeys

I think they either used gpg --full-generate-key, or maybe a distro that
changes the defaults... does anyone know what distro or software they
might be using?

Grepping around for similar keys created +/- 30 days, I do find a few
with the same word\d\d\d\d@...bar username pattern and the same
gpg options. I found some matching github accounts, but nothing stands
out as suspicious. I also see some marked package signing keys -- e.g.
0x9C2247349FD4213F -- created just one week earlier:

$ date --utc --date @1671644345
Wed Dec 21 05:39:05 PM UTC 2022

Maybe it's nothing, but same algorithm, expiry, key size... maybe
they're using the same distribution?

Anyway, I wasted the afternoon on this :)

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso@....org