Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 03:13:39 +0900
From: Dominique Martinet <asmadeus@...ewreck.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to ssh
 server compromise

Michael.Karcher wrote on Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 07:13:35PM +0200:
> > I am *not* a security researcher, nor a reverse engineer.  There's lots of
> > stuff I have not analyzed and most of what I observed is purely from
> > observation rather than exhaustively analyzing the backdoor code.
>
> I am a reverse engineer, and tried some static analysis on that code. One
> key feature is that the code does not contain any ASCII strings, neither in
> clear text nor in obfuscated form. Instead, it recognizes all relevant
> strings using one single deterministic finite automaton, a technique commonly
> used to search for terms given by regular expressions.
>
> I wrote a script that decodes the tables for the table-driven DFA and outputs
> the strings recognized by it accompanied with the "ID" assigned to the terminal
> accepting state that represents that string.
>
> You can find this script (and possibly other stuff I found interesting later)
> at https://github.com/karcherm/xz-malware .

This list requires that the content is made available in messages
themselves and not just links, so I've copied the README below (all the
way to the end), which probably contains enough information for most
people so I'm not going all the way to attach the script as well.

This is really helpful, thanks a lot for the analysis!

-- Dominique Martinet | Asmadeus

README content below scissors:
------------8<----------------------
Information about the liblzma (xz-utils) backdoor

Decoder for the string recognition automaton

The backdoor code, in the version extracted by Florian Weimer, contains no readable ASCII strings.
It also contains no obfuscated ASCII strings. Instead, it has a single state automaton to recognize
the required strings. Searching for a string is performed by inputting all candidate start addresses
into the string detection automaton, and checking whether the intended string is recognized. The
string detection automaton returns a string ID.

The string detection automaton is implemented in the function `_Lsimple_coder_update_0`, which has
this signature:

```
int detect_string(const void* startptr, const void* optional_endptr);
```

It returns 0 if no known string is detected at startptr (the search is aborted if endptr is encountered before
a match is detected), otherwise it returns a "string ID".

This is the table that is generated by running the script in this repository:

```
 810: ' from '
 678: ' ssh2'
  d8: '%.48s:%.48s():%d (pid=%ld)\x00'
 708: '%s'
 108: '/usr/sbin/sshd\x00'
 870: 'Accepted password for '
 1a0: 'Accepted publickey for '
 c40: 'BN_bin2bn\x00'
 6d0: 'BN_bn2bin\x00'
 958: 'BN_dup\x00'
 418: 'BN_free\x00'
 4e0: 'BN_num_bits\x00'
 790: 'Connection closed by '
  18: 'Could not chdir to home directory %s: %s\n\x00'
  b0: 'Could not get agent socket\x00'
 960: 'DISPLAY='
 9d0: 'DSA_get0_pqg\x00'
 468: 'DSA_get0_pub_key\x00'
 7e8: 'EC_KEY_get0_group\x00'
 268: 'EC_KEY_get0_public_key\x00'
 6e0: 'EC_POINT_point2oct\x00'
 b28: 'EVP_CIPHER_CTX_free\x00'
 838: 'EVP_CIPHER_CTX_new\x00'
 2a8: 'EVP_DecryptFinal_ex\x00'
 c08: 'EVP_DecryptInit_ex\x00'
 3f0: 'EVP_DecryptUpdate\x00'
  f8: 'EVP_Digest\x00'
 408: 'EVP_DigestVerify\x00'
 118: 'EVP_DigestVerifyInit\x00'
 d10: 'EVP_MD_CTX_free\x00'
 af8: 'EVP_MD_CTX_new\x00'
 6f8: 'EVP_PKEY_free\x00'
 758: 'EVP_PKEY_new_raw_public_key\x00'
 510: 'EVP_PKEY_set1_RSA\x00'
 c28: 'EVP_chacha20\x00'
 c60: 'EVP_sha256\x00'
 188: 'EVP_sm'
 8c0: 'GLIBC_2.2.5\x00'
 6a8: 'GLRO(dl_naudit) <= naudit\x00'
 1e0: 'KRB5CCNAME\x00'
 cf0: 'LD_AUDIT='
 bc0: 'LD_BIND_NOT='
 a90: 'LD_DEBUG='
 b98: 'LD_PROFILE='
 3e0: 'LD_USE_LOAD_BIAS='
 a88: 'LINES='
 ac0: 'RSA_free\x00'
 798: 'RSA_get0_key\x00'
 918: 'RSA_new\x00'
 1d0: 'RSA_public_decrypt\x00'
 540: 'RSA_set0_key\x00'
 8f8: 'RSA_sign\x00'
 990: 'SSH-2.0'
 4a8: 'TERM='
  e0: 'Unrecognized internal syslog level code %d\n\x00'
 158: 'WAYLAND_DISPLAY='
 878: '__errno_location\x00'
 2b0: '__libc_stack_end\x00'
 228: '__libc_start_main\x00'
 a60: '_dl_audit_preinit\x00'
 9c8: '_dl_audit_symbind_alt\x00'
 8a8: '_exit\x00'
 5b0: '_r_debug\x00'
 5b8: '_rtld_global\x00'
 a98: '_rtld_global_ro\x00'
  b8: 'auth_root_allowed\x00'
 1d8: 'authenticating'
  28: 'demote_sensitive_data\x00'
 348: 'getuid\x00'
 a48: 'ld-linux-x86-64.so'
 7d0: 'libc.so'
 7c0: 'libcrypto.so'
 590: 'liblzma.so'
 938: 'libsystemd.so'
  20: 'list_hostkey_types\x00'
 440: 'malloc_usable_size\x00'
  c0: 'mm_answer_authpassword\x00'
  c8: 'mm_answer_keyallowed\x00'
  d0: 'mm_answer_keyverify\x00'
 948: 'mm_answer_pam_start\x00'
  78: 'mm_choose_dh\x00'
  40: 'mm_do_pam_account\x00'
  50: 'mm_getpwnamallow\x00'
  a8: 'mm_log_handler\x00'
  38: 'mm_pty_allocate\x00'
  a0: 'mm_request_send\x00'
  48: 'mm_session_pty_cleanup2\x00'
  70: 'mm_sshpam_free_ctx\x00'
  58: 'mm_sshpam_init_ctx\x00'
  60: 'mm_sshpam_query\x00'
  68: 'mm_sshpam_respond\x00'
  30: 'mm_terminate\x00'
 c58: 'parse PAM\x00'
 400: 'password\x00'
 4f0: 'preauth'
 690: 'pselect\x00'
 7b8: 'publickey\x00'
 308: 'read\x00'
 710: 'rsa-sha2-256\x00'
 428: 'setlogmask\x00'
 5f0: 'setresgid\x00'
 ab8: 'setresuid\x00'
 760: 'shutdown\x00'
 d08: 'ssh-2.0'
 2c8: 'ssh-rsa-cert-v01@...nssh.com\x00'
  88: 'sshpam_auth_passwd\x00'
  90: 'sshpam_query\x00'
  80: 'sshpam_respond\x00'
  98: 'start_pam\x00'
 9f8: 'system\x00'
 198: 'unknown\x00'
 b10: 'user'
 380: 'write\x00'
  10: 'xcalloc: zero size\x00'
 b00: 'yolAbejyiejuvnup=Evjtgvsh5okmkAvj\x00'
 300: '\x7fELF'
```