Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 17:17:03 -0800
From: Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: help wanted - bring more issues in here

On 3/7/24 13:56, Solar Designer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have this contributing back task not requiring (linux-)distros
> membership:

> Administrative tasks mostly unrelated to (linux-)distros lists (but
> relevant to the wider community)
> [...]
> 3. Monitor for Open Source security issues/topics published elsewhere,
> identify which of these would fit, and bring them to oss-security -
> primary: Oracle Solaris, backup: vacant
>
> Alan Coopersmith of Oracle Solaris does a good job at this task.  Thank
> you, Alan!  However, this task needs more than one person's involvement.
> I'd appreciate it if others volunteer for it as well - both a second
> distro (as you can see, that spot is now vacant) and anyone else who's
> capable and willing to help.
>
> I'd also appreciate volunteers for just the third sub-task.  I happen to
> notice many "Open Source security issues/topics published elsewhere" and
> "identify which of these would fit", but I rarely have time to write
> them up for posting to oss-security.

I also notice far more than I can send on myself, so tend to filter both
for those projects that are more likely to be distributed directly by
distros and more widely installed on systems, and for issues that seem
to have a higher level of impact.  So I'm not sending on notice of every
bug in every WordPress plugin, nor every npm module.

If people want to see different coverage here, speaking up can change that,
but helping out as described above will make an even bigger impact.

--
         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith@...cle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris