Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 07:13:38 +0000
From: Ali Raza Mumtaz <raza.mumtaz@...yx.com>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
CC: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>, Faran
 Abdullah <faran.abdullah@...yx.com>
Subject: Re: CVE-2024-22857: Heap Based Buffer overflow in zlog
 library

Size of record_name is MAXLEN_PATH(1024) + 1 but file_path may have data upto MAXLEN_CFG_LINE(MAXLEN_PATH*4) + 1. So a check was missing in zlog_rule_new() while copying the record_name from file_path + 1 which caused the buffer overflow. An attacker can exploit this vulnerability to overwrite the zlog_record_fn record_func function pointer to get arbitrary code execution.

patch: https://github.com/HardySimpson/zlog/pull/251/commits/77d8af3b368b564605f3ab34ad9b0ed6ead9b380

[https://avatars.githubusercontent.com/u/70605579?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/HardySimpson/zlog/pull/251/commits/77d8af3b368b564605f3ab34ad9b0ed6ead9b380>
CVE-2024-22857: buffer overflow patched by alirazamumtaz · Pull Request #251 · HardySimpson/zlog<https://github.com/HardySimpson/zlog/pull/251/commits/77d8af3b368b564605f3ab34ad9b0ed6ead9b380>
Size of record_name is MAXLEN_PATH(1024) + 1 but file_path may have data upto MAXLEN_CFG_LINE(MAXLEN_PATH*4) + 1. So a check was missing in zlog_rule_new() while copying the record_name from file_p...
github.com