Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 00:38:36 +0100
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@...oden.eu>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: linux-distros membership application of
 openEuler

Hello.  Please allow me a little opinion.

Solar Designer wrote in
 <20231225220925.GA17188@...nwall.com>:
 |On Sun, Dec 24, 2023 at 09:43:06PM +0800, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
 |Also, as I pointed out, even the US sanctions against Huawei don't seem
 |to apply to what we're doing, per LF's public statement and per my own
 |reading (but I am not a lawyer).

I want to point out that Huawei employees play an important role
in creating solutions in the (public and open to anyone) IETF.
Also financially.
I personally think it is a friendly move to give back and support
creating the infrastructure that we all build upon.
Which can easily be compared to many non-China companies and their
attitude of take but no give.

(Read also: in the ever-more over-engineering that goes on.)

 |However, that might not be enough to prevent people from being concerned
 |and discouraged from participating if openEuler joins.  This is why I
 |suggested that it's best if openEuler does not join now, and that people
 |who had commented before could want to say whether their concerns are
 |now sufficiently addressed or maybe not.

Me personally no, but for one i am noone regarding vivid members
of this list, and second i have no political pressure against me.

 |> Also, Igor has communicated an important note about the mandatory
 |> disclosure of vulnerabilities to the Chinese government. Therefore, a
 |> question arises: is the Chinese government the only one that requires
 |> this?
 |
 |These are valid concerns.

Now -- by sheer accident i today (while clearing out my mbox for
the yearly archiving) read your email from October 1st from this list
(20231001191303.GA8910@...nwall.com>, Subject: [oss-security]
"Linux Kernel security demistified"), where you have posted

  Greg KH gave a talk entitled "Linux Kernel security demistified" at
  Kernel Recipes 2023 (10th Edition) on September 26 in Paris, France.

  Thank you, Greg!

  Here are the slides:

  https://git.sr.ht/~gregkh/presentation-security/blob/3547183843399d693c35b502cf4a313e256d0dd8/security-stuff.pdf

and i really today stumbled over his funny opinion

  . All "early notice" lists are leaks and should be considered
    public.
  . Unless your project is not used by anyone.
  . Otherwise, why would your government allow it to exist?

Also this year we seem to have had the 10th anniversary of the NSA
leaks (with nice to read stories of world-hoppers like Bruce
Schneier), we have the (pretty biased in my opinion, also
referring to lots of decade-old pre-NSA leak data) RFC 9505 "A
Survey of Worldwide Censorship Techniques" that happened to happen
around that anniversary.

 |Per my reading, the EU CRA (which isn't final yet and isn't in effect
 |yet) is going to require something related, but different.  The proposal

We hopefully scrape past that backdoor-to-everything (after court
rules, (((.. or for security agencies ..)))) that at leat the now
deselected polish government pushed for, *if* i understood that
correctly (which i think i did).

 |from 2022:

We also saw

  https://epicenter.works/fileadmin/user_upload/eIDAS_Open_Letter-2023-11-01-Academics_NGOs.pdf

("live update" aka current version here:

  https://nce.mpi-sp.org/index.php/s/cG88cptFdaDNyRr)

in November this year.

  1. Undermining website authentication undermines communications security
  The current text of Article 45 mandates that browsers must
  accept any root certificates provided by any Member State (and
  any third party country approved by the EU) and will have severe
  consequences for the privacy of European citizens, the security
  of European commerce, and the Internet as a whole

By the way i was silenced on the IH mailing-list after responding
to an email which included

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/polarized-world-threatens-open-internet-icann/ar-AA1kjXU2

The headline as such is terribly opinionated then when, if ever
but in the earliest days when (military) academics talked with
each other alone, was this ever true.  I for one will never kill
a russian or had such a desire, yet this was ok to write (to say
the least), but on the other hand the legendary David Peel and the
Lower East Side Band concert in Central Park ("Have a Marijuna")
from i think 1969 could by no means be found by Google in the
past.
OF COURSE -- was this by law?  Maybe not.  Yet it is everywhere.

As long as the root servers are not spread all over the place
there is no "open internet".  Never was.

By the way you can see things on Wikipedia that every little child
can look at, but -- in my opinion -- should not.
That system failed.  How can it be made better?  I do not know.

 |includes the below:

 |"The manufacturer shall, without undue delay and in any event within 24
 |hours of becoming aware of it, notify to ENISA any actively exploited
 |vulnerability contained in the product with digital elements."

At least this is now a public law.
Noone will ever convince me that a company like Microsoft, Apple,
but also for example Software AG and other German companies,
remain silent against their own government --- especially after
they did not do that the first time, and even more especially so
if the government uses that software itself.
Come on, i really want to know: how realistic is that?
And i tell you what: despite the terrible politics that Germany
performs except for some things (for example yesterday 70 percent
of electricity came from wind, and i am hoping for hydrogen), and
i am deeply run down from German politics, that you can trust me,
you know: i would do that if i would maintain such a thing.
_Of_course_.

(Disclaimer: i apologise to all those countries that are misused
economically, which' people have a shorter painful life span
because of substances or working conditions 'caused by us, or
fooled with faked crypto and other secret service ashole shit we
fooled you with for half a century and longer.  All my heart.)

  etc
 |I'm not currently aware of related legislation elsewhere, but I would be
 |unsurprised if it exists.
 |
 |Overall, I am concerned about this trend towards more government
 |oversight.  While we also have our policies, we do not have a monopoly,

Well at least it will now become an open law.
And "freedom is a state of mind" was true 3500 years ago,
currently is, and will be as long as people live.
The brain chips surely will be as selective and opinionated in
what they serve except for maybe complete latin vocabularies and
historical data points (and that already is a problem).

In the companies root certificates, and hey, if even for virus
filtering, and such, etc, everywhere, if you drive Tesla or likely
any other modern car (i refer to Mozilla's car privacy and
security) then data is collected, and even if that data is not
capable to, maybe in ten years it is.  The psychological bandwidth
of the human being is quite small, effectively, and if you are
permanently traced including temperature, in-seat-movement, eye
movement, (even sexual activities, if there is camera, and
microphone, and humidity sensor, etc), then at least in the future
you are psychologically transparent.  And data inter-connection
with buying behaviour and such.
By the way: please protect me from terrorism!

This is of course all a person's free will in a free world.
So off-topic.

--steffen