Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:21:53 +0100
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: Matthias Gerstner <mgerstner@...e.de>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: budgie-extras: multiple predictable /tmp path
 issues in various applications

* Matthias Gerstner:

> As a quick fix for all of these issues I suggested to use
> `$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR` instead of /tmp. This directory is private to the
> logged in user and cannot be manipulated by other users in the system.

Note that on some systems, the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR directory is unavailable
after user UID switching (e.g., with sudo) because these systems follow
the specification to the letter and provide a XDG_RUNTIME_DIR setting
for the logged-in user instead of the current user.  So while it looks
like a good solution for most cases, it breaks a couple of use cases (or
still needs fallback even on systems that nominally have XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
support).

Thanks,
Florian