Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:34:24 +0100
From: Matthias Gerstner <mgerstner@...e.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR "misuse" as $TMPDIR (was: Re:
 budgie-extras: multiple predictable /tmp path issues in
 various applications)

Hi Steffen,

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 11:15:02PM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> All that makes me think whether XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is such a good
> target for temporary files, generally speaking.

in general I would also not recommend using it for temporary files. At
least in this concrete case of the budgie-extras applications the files
placed in there can be considered small enough for a desktop environment.

I recommended using XDG_RUNTIME_DIR as a quick fix for these issues, but
as I also tried to point out, I don't believe the way temporary files
are used here is a good design.

At least the immediate dangers for security should be addressed by these
quick fixes applied, so sacrificing a bit of the cleanliness of the
filesystem seems justified.

Cheers

Matthias

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)