Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 20:06:49 -0800
From: Hsin-Wei Hung <hsinweih@....edu>
To: Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>, Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
	oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: Linux: BPF: issues with copy_from_user_nofault()

On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 10:05 AM Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 2:43 PM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Looks like the below wasn't brought to oss-security yet.
> >
> > As I understand from what was posted to the linux-distros thread, the
> > issue was being fixed in:
> >
> > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20230118051443.78988-1-alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com/__;!!CzAuKJ42GuquVTTmVmPViYEvSg!LwWVuruWiTdoRoQltcxHLiuP59L6twXiH9K5vSXHjQAJ4Kt_PY4ZrsFacExuGA2KxoT2yqmwlLOpBauWKwhXcD6QvQ$
> >
> > and actually fixed in:
> >
> > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bpf/bpf-next.git/commit/?id=d319f344561d__;!!CzAuKJ42GuquVTTmVmPViYEvSg!LwWVuruWiTdoRoQltcxHLiuP59L6twXiH9K5vSXHjQAJ4Kt_PY4ZrsFacExuGA2KxoT2yqmwlLOpBauWKwj2mNm1bQ$
> >
> > and it should have been merged to stable "tomorrow or so" after June 27,
> > at which point Hsin-Wei Hung was supposed to finally make the
> > oss-security posting, but apparently that never happened.
> >
> > Of course, the delay from January 2 to June 28 was way in excess of the
> > supposed maximum, and it is even more ridiculous we didn't post in here
> > for even longer.
> >
> > This is what happens when no one in particular keeps tracking issues
> > after they fall out of the attention span.  This is also why we need to
> > take care of the distros list statistics task in real time, not only
> > retroactively like I'm doing for 2023 now.
>
> As I tried to explain, the fix addresses two things:
> - the WARN. By itself it's harmless and the severity is low.
> - lockup with CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY from bpf. That is a real bug
> and backports are necessary.
>
> But the 2nd part of the fix:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20230118051443.78988-2-alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com/__;!!CzAuKJ42GuquVTTmVmPViYEvSg!LwWVuruWiTdoRoQltcxHLiuP59L6twXiH9K5vSXHjQAJ4Kt_PY4ZrsFacExuGA2KxoT2yqmwlLOpBauWKwiOE1xn7Q$
>
> was never merged.
> Essentially perf (without any bpf) is broken on arm64 and others.
> arch_perf_out_copy_user() might deadlock with CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY.

Hey,

Sorry to put everyone in a tough situation. I can post it to
oss-security if Alexei agrees. I can also try to pick up the 2nd part
of the patch from where it is next week.
https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/CAADnVQJRd3r84yLcqH1Z-BYU76SRYuDMOCWRcvBfapsXs_w-rg@mail.gmail.com/

-Hsin-Wei