Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 18:52:03 +0100
From: Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: !CVE: A new platform to track security issues not
 acknowledged by vendors

On 08/11/2023 14:22, !CVE Team wrote:
> ==============
> What is a !CVE
> ==============
>
>     - A common place for !vulnerabilities (read not vulnerabilities)
>
>     - Security issues not covered by the traditional CVE.
>
>     - An identifier following common naming starting with an exclamation
>       mark(!) Example: !CVE-2023-0001

I am not a lawyer, but I'd assume you would run into some issues with
the naming of all this -- wasn't that the exact issue that somebody else
ran into when they tried to assign identifiers to bugs that MITRE
wouldn't acknowledge? Here's what they said back then:

<https://cve.mitre.org/news/archives/2021/news.html#April022021_Message_to_DWF_from_the_CVE_Board>

I somehow doubt the presence of the ! makes much of a difference.

Vegard