Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 15:38:37 -0700
From: Mats Wichmann <mats@...hmann.us>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: !CVE: A new platform to track security issues not
 acknowledged by vendors

On 11/8/23 13:33, David A. Wheeler wrote:

> The "!CVE" group isn't using "CVE", they're using "!CVE". The question is,
> is that distinct enough, or will typical users be confused by it?
> I don't know the answer to that. However, I do worry that perhaps
> "!CVE" is not distinct enough.

I'd say it's pretty clear it's confusing, given that non-alpha
characters have mysterious behaviors in non-human situations, and this
particular character is probably confusing to humans too, depending on
how clear/large the font is.  ICVE? 1CV? lCVE?  On the computer side of
the equation,  I just put  !CVE  into the search bar of my browser. It
didn't even bring up a page of results, it just sent me directly to:

https://cve.mitre.org/

Don't do this.

> I would *strongly* recommend that this group use "NotCVE" or "NCVE" instead of "!CVE".
> That would be more clearly distinct, and they already call themselves that.
> I'll also note that searching for "!CVE" and storing that prefix will also cause some problems.
+1