Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 18:17:00 +0100
From: Sam Bull <9m199i@...bull.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: with firefox on X11, any page can pastejack you
 anytime

On Thu, 2023-10-19 at 18:45 +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Sam Bull wrote in
>  <d85658c838a1338c829cee30fb9c344688a2a470.camel@...bull.org>:
>  |On Wed, 2023-10-18 at 13:25 -0500, Grant Taylor wrote:
>  |> I think that this is more a problem with X11 security than it is a
>  |> problem specific to Mozilla / Firefox.
>  |Also a problem with shell security. If you paste something with line \
>  |breaks into bash, it
>  |executes them. If you paste the same into fish, it doesn't (it'll display \
>  |the multi-line
>  |input and expect you to hit the enter key to execute it as a command).
>
> That is plain not true

OK, the behaviour on my terminal is completely different depending solely on which shell I
use:

   s@...aptop ~> bash
   s@...aptop:~$ That is plain not true, but depends on the "bracketed paste" mode

   Command 'That' not found, did you mean:

     command 'phat' from deb phat-utils (1.5-3build2)
     command 'chat' from deb ppp (2.4.7-2+4.1ubuntu5.1)
     command 'jhat' from deb openjdk-8-jdk-headless (8u382-ga-1~20.04.1)

   Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

   s@...aptop:~$ of readline which in turn depends on the terminal (emulator) and
   bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
   s@...aptop:~$ likely even upon the ncurses library.
   likely: command not found
   s@...aptop:~$ See bash(1) (Readline Variables, enable-bracketed-paste, default
   bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
   s@...aptop:~$ on).  Btw Mr. Dickey (ncurses, xterm, vile, etc) has an
   bash: syntax error near unexpected token `)'

   s@...aptop:~$ fish
   s@...aptop ~> That is plain not true, but depends on the "bracketed paste" mode
                 of readline which in turn depends on the terminal (emulator) and
                 likely even upon the ncurses library.
                 See bash(1) (Readline Variables, enable-bracketed-paste, default
                 on).  Btw Mr. Dickey (ncurses, xterm, vile, etc) has an
                 informative page on this:

> That observation may be outdated. At least my bash 5.2.15 on Debian

Yes, I'm on an older release still, so maybe it has been fixed in the past 3 or so years.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (196 bytes)