Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:23:25 -0700
From: Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: illumos (or at least danmcd) membership in the
 distros list

On 9/22/23 14:40, Solar Designer wrote:
> So I think we can accept OmniOS as new distros list member, if that's
> desired and Dan would represent OmniOS on the list.

As an existing list member with familiarity with the illumos distros,
this makes sense to me.  Membership for the other distros in the illumos
family (SmartOS, OpenIndiana, Tribblix, etc.) would also make sense.

A membership for illumos itself would make sense if things like the
CPU speculative execution vulnerabilities were shared on this list,
but they historically haven't been, and as recently discussed, their
long embargo period means they probably shouldn't be, at least not
until everything is ready to release - which means kernel & hypervisor
makers need to get notified of the changes they need to make via other
channels (which the major CPU vendors already have).  Mitigations
that require only microcode updates would fit the distros list,
but since the CPU vendors have their own notification channels
for the other issues, they've been using those instead.

--
         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith@...cle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris