Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:36:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us>
To: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: illumos (or at least danmcd) membership in the
 distros list

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023, Dan McDonald wrote:

I am not a member of the 'distros' list, but can vouch for Dan
McDonald's dedication and capabilities, as observed over several
years.  Dan did not mention it, but he previously became the primary
maintainer of an Illumos distribution known as "OmniOS", which I use.
As a maintainer, Dan did pay close attention to security issues.

In terms of capabilites, Illumos-based distributions are similar in
capabilty to major Linux distributions, or the major BSD
distributions.  Illumos has a long heritage derived from Solaris,
which emerged from SunOS/SVR4, but includes many unique capabilities,
some of which were developed under Illumos after 2010. Each
Illumos-based distribution seems to target a different usage model.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/