Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:04:49 +1000
From: Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Announce: OpenSSH 9.3p2 released

On 7/20/23 23:41, Sevan Janiyan wrote:
> On 20/07/2023 14:24, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
>> Should there be a system-wide configuration file containing a list of
>> known-good PKCS#11 libraries? ssh-agent having to guess if something
>> is a PKCS#11 library is less than awesome.
>
> There's a compile time setting for paths from which you are able to load
> libraries from.

I don’t think this helps much though, right? The Qualys research that
motivated this found an exploit chain using only libs present in
/usr/lib in a default Ubuntu install. If you want to lock down loading
to a specific non-/usr/lib path that you have control over, this
suggests you know and are in control of the PKCS#11 providers you’re
going to support. In which case, why not avoid dynamic loading to begin
with? I guess the allowlist and new defaults are the answer to this
conundrum though.