Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 12:28:33 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Opinion: Governments don't want IT security, they want to have cyber weapons

Hi Georgi and all,

I actually think we should be rejecting postings like this.  I accepted
this one as an example.  By "postings like this" I mean rants without
proposed solutions, not helpful for this community (and where replies
are unlikely to be helpful either), and/or lacking focus on Open Source.
I think in this case it's all 3 of these.  I think the recent thread
"The AI chatgpt writes insecure code" was of similarly questionable
value for this list's subscribers.  I'd appreciate off-list replies on
whether postings/threads like these two should be accepted or rejected
going forward (or e.g. that one kind should be and the other not).

Georgi, replying to you in another thread, I wrote:

I'm all for more discussion, but I'd like it to be relevant and helpful.

I think your posting is relevant, but not helpful and not focused on
Open Source.  Like you wrote, you miss the old full-disclosure list -
well, this list isn't, we try to stay more focused.  I'm sorry there
might not be currently a list that would be a better fit for your rants
and observations.

Anyway, on the topic:

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 11:34:28AM +0300, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> What the security community thinks about it?
>
> Inline:
>
> Tue Aug 17 14:35:14 EEST 2021
> Opinion: Governments don't want IT security, they want to have cyber weapons

I think most governments do want IT security.  Some also want "cyber
weapons", which is partially contradictory, but that's how it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOBUS

Alexander