Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 11:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@...lendorf.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Clarification on embargoed testing in a partner
 cloud

On Wed, 24 May 2023, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> I think the right policy for list members is that they are responsible for
> understanding the third-party infrastructure they use and if they aren't
> confident that they can maintain the rules of the list, they shouldn't use
> it.

We've known since "On Trusting Trust" that every variable consumed during
the SDLC is a vector for compromise, even in very subtle and difficult
(impossible? halting problem?) ways to defeat. Inevitably we need to rely
on self-attestation, paired with certification processes when called for
(e.g. FedRamp). There is emerging regulatory action, at least in the US
(see the new White House Cybersecurity Policy) and the EU's CRA, calling
for the establishment of clear processes for demonstrating provenance and
attestation to at least the build environment and likely eventually the
full SDLC.

A clear and more formal way of understanding the different levels of
attestation of one's build environment can be found in the SLSA
specification. Here's a story about how Google Cloud incorporates it into
build service:

https://slsa.dev/blog/2022/12/gcb-slsa-verification

Of course attestation is not proof, and even human certification can only
go so far. Reproducible builds offer a path there but that goal seems just
as far away as it was 20 years ago, when Java was going to solve that for
us.

I have no recommendation on if or how to use SLSA or something like it in
this policy, just that it may be something to consider.

Brian