Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 18:15:19 +0100
From: Sam Bull <9m199i@...bull.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Perl's HTTP::Tiny has insecure TLS cert default,
 affecting CPAN.pm and other modules

On Wed, 2023-05-03 at 15:54 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> > On May 3, 2023, at 3:15 PM, Reid Sutherland <reid@...rddimension.net> wrote:
> > Who actually decides when something receives a CVE?
>
> There's a process for assigning CVEs. Anyone who wants to be able to assign CVEs - that
> is, to become a CVE Numbering Authority (CNA) - has to follow various processes.
>
> >  This can be used to defame projects and products as in this case.
>
> Identifying a vulnerability does not defame a project.

But, reporting a CVE where there is no vulnerability wastes a lot of time for the project
maintainers, as we had last year with this CVE:
https://github.com/aio-libs/aiohttp/issues/6801

As far as we could tell, it seems a random user reported a DoS vulnerability to Github
(maybe?) and got a CVE assigned, with no reproducer or any evidence of a vulnerability,
and just a link to an issue which was never considered a security issue by anybody. None
of us involved with the project were notified of the report either, we learnt about the
CVE from other users asking us about it.

It took months to get that satisfactorily revoked and stop getting users asking us about
it (apparently there's no standardised way to tell if CVEs are revoked, so seems DB
maintainers have to remove them on a case-by-case basis, making the process much longer).
So, something somewhere is not fully working in the process.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (196 bytes)