Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 22:40:30 +0200
From: Moritz Bechler <mbechler@...terphace.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Perl's HTTP::Tiny has insecure TLS cert default,
 affecting CPAN.pm and other modules

Hi,

> A default is not a vulnerability.  There are reasons why defaults cannot
> be changed in libraries once they are stable.  This is also why
> documentation exists.
>
> Revoke these CVEs, it's a stain on the process.

while one may criticize that CVEs have been assigned both for the
insecure default and (some of the) insecure usages, at least one of
these is a legitimate case, in terms of CVEs likely the latter. And when
it comes to defaming projects, at least in my book, choosing, keeping
and defending bad defaults speaks to much more than a CVE being assigned.

Moritz