Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 15:54:38 -0400
From: "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@...eeler.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Perl's HTTP::Tiny has insecure TLS cert default,
 affecting CPAN.pm and other modules

> On May 3, 2023, at 3:15 PM, Reid Sutherland <reid@...rddimension.net> wrote:
>
> Who actually decides when something receives a CVE?

There's a process for assigning CVEs. Anyone who wants to be able to assign CVEs - that is, to become a CVE Numbering Authority (CNA) - has to follow various processes. I'm sure it can be improved, like all things. I'm not directly involved in this. You might find more information here:
https://www.cve.org/ProgramOrganization/CNAs

>  This can be used to defame projects and products as in this case.

Identifying a vulnerability does not defame a project. If a library has the functionality to retrieve an https URLs, and fails to verify the server certificates by default, then I (and many others) would call that a vulnerability. After all, the default is what happens. If you request data from <https://google.com>, you wouldn't expect it to use the data from <https://godzilla.com>. There's a general expectation that https://FPP provides a secure connection to FOO (with confidentiality, integrity, and server authentication), unless you specially disable it.

--- David A. Wheeler