Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:05:55 +0200
From: Stefano Di Paola <stefano.dipaola@...ec.it>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Checking existence of firewalled web servers in
 Firefox via iframe.onload

Absolutely agreed!

What I actually see now as the most effective mitigation is the Chrome
decision to implement preflight on private network access:

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/private-network-access-preflight/

I hope to see that implemented by Firefox and other browsers as well.

As a side note, 3 years ago I released a proof of concept browser
extension that alerts the user when a website tries to perform port
scans or DNS Rebinding attacks.
https://github.com/mindedsecurity/behave

https://blog.mindedsecurity.com/2020/06/behave-monitoring-browser-extension-for.html

About the rediscovering I know it happens and I've no problem about it,
but I wish researchers to spend some time checking for previous work
and give credits ;).

Cheers,
Stefano

http://web.archive.org/web/20060813034434/http://www.spidynamics.com/assets/documents/JSportscan.pdf