Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:15:52 +0200
From: Jacques Le Roux <jleroux@...che.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Arnout Engelen <engelen@...che.org>, seth.arnold@...onical.com,
 "security@...che.org" <security@...che.org>,
 "security@...iz.apache.org" <security@...iz.apache.org>
Subject: Re: CVE-2022-47501: Apache OFBiz: Arbitrary file
 reading vulnerability

Hi Seth,

I used to give more information. For this one, using our "new" internal process* (need an ASF credential) and  following step 11 of**, notably

    <<Generally, reports should contain enough information to enable people to assess the risk the vulnerability poses for their own system, and no
    more.>>

I restricted the information to a minimum.

With a request from Arnoult (member of the ASF security team in copy), there is though 2 points that have been changed since.

When sending to Mitre we replaced
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?announce@apache.org
by
https://lists.apache.org/thread/k8s76l0whydy45bfm4b69vq0mf94p3wc

You can see the result at https://www.cve.org/CVERecord?id=CVE-2022-47501

We also changed the "problem type" to be more specific. Following the CWE classification, we used "CWE-22 Improper Limitation of a Pathname to a
Restricted Directory ('Path Traversal')" rather than "Arbitrary file reading vulnerability" used by the finder who stayed as the CVE title. You can
see it at https://cveawg.mitre.org/api/cve/CVE-2022-47501 which is the json version of the report.

Regarding your points:

  * the vulnerability was introduced long ago (years) when the plugin was created. It was around 2013.
  * https://ofbiz.apache.org/security.html gives indirect information about the fix. Do you suggest that we need to put a direct link like
    https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-plugins/commit/582add7d3 ?

Thanks for the links. We will certainly consider what can be done to ease the work of downstream distributors and consumers.

Jacques

* https://cveprocess.apache.org/cve5/CVE-2022-47501
** https://www.apache.org/security/committers.html#vulnerability-handling