Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:34:04 -0400
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@...las.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: TTY pushback vulnerabilities / TIOCSTI

I think that the original reason was for csh(1) to implement file completion:
https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/bin/csh/file.c#161
I still have a use case for it. Sometimes I lose my VPN tunnel and an
ssh session where I am running vi(1) suddenly dies. When I ssh to that
machine, I can easily find the tty where the vi session is with ps(1) and
then type "sti pts/X :wq\\n" and save the file  (https://man.netbsd.org/sti.8):-)
Of course on NetBSD you need to be root to use TIOCSTI.

Best,

christos

> On Mar 17, 2023, at 7:13 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) <lyndon@...hanc.ca> wrote:
>
> Does anyone even remember why TIOCSTI was added in the
> first place?  I remember stumbling across it decades
> ago (SVR?), but I've ever seen a use case for it.
> It puzzled me back then why it even existed.
>
> --lyndon

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (236 bytes)