Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 20:41:02 +0100
From: Jakub Wilk <jwilk@...lk.net>
To: <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: TTY pushback vulnerabilities / TIOCSTI

* Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>, 2023-03-17 11:48:
>Jakub Wilk <jwilk@...lk.net> wrote:
>
>>On Linux virtual terminals, it's possible to achieve pretty much the
>>same effect using TIOCLINUX, the ioctl used by gpm to implement
>>copy&pasting.
[...]
>Given this works only on "virtual terminals" (aka not in a terminal
>window on X, not over SSH), I think the severity is much lower than the
>TIOCSTI issue.

Agreed.

>I've created a patch for the Linux kernel very similar to the patch
>that allows disabling TIOCSTI.

I don't think that's gonna fly, because...

>+	  The TIOCLINUX ioctl allows implementing copy-and-paste and
>+	  mouse operations in virtual terminals, used by tools like gpm.

TIOCLINUX implements also functionality unrelated to copying and
pasting. See the ioctl_console(2) man page:
https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/manpages-dev/ioctl_console.2.en.html#TIOCLINUX

For example, apparently some of this stuff is used by systemd:

     $ git grep -wB5 TIOCLINUX
     src/basic/terminal-util.c-                int tiocl[2] = {
     src/basic/terminal-util.c-                        TIOCL_GETKMSGREDIRECT,
     src/basic/terminal-util.c-                        0
     src/basic/terminal-util.c-                };
     src/basic/terminal-util.c-
     src/basic/terminal-util.c:                if (ioctl(fd, TIOCLINUX, tiocl) < 0)
     --
     src/vconsole/vconsole-setup.c-static int verify_vc_device(int fd) {
     src/vconsole/vconsole-setup.c-        unsigned char data[] = {
     src/vconsole/vconsole-setup.c-        };
     src/vconsole/vconsole-setup.c-
     src/vconsole/vconsole-setup.c:        return RET_NERRNO(ioctl(fd, TIOCLINUX, data));

--
Jakub Wilk