Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 22:44:45 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Eric Biggers <ebiggers@...nel.org>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Data operand dependent timing on Intel and Arm CPUs

Hi Eric,

Thank you for bringing this up in here.

There was also a brief Twitter thread on it in August 2022, started by
Adam Langley:

https://twitter.com/agl__/status/1561374334714671104

In it Adam Langley, wrote:
> It appears that Intel doesn't guarantee constant-time execution of _any_
> instructions on Ice Lake or later unless a configuration bit is set:
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/software-security-guidance/best-practices/data-operand-independent-timing-isa-guidance.html
>
> Ice Lake was released in 2019 but this information is only a few months
> old. So hopefully multiplication etc actually is always constant-time on
> existing chips and this is just preparing for the future?
>
> I guess the steady state is that every OS sets this DOITM bit all the
> time, but Intel get to publish benchmarks based on variable-time
> instructions and claim that they're using the default configuration?

My reply was:

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 11:34:43AM -0800, Eric Biggers wrote:
> I'd like to draw people's attention to the fact that on recent Intel and Arm
> CPUs, by default the execution time of instructions may depend on the data
> values operated on.  This even includes instructions like additions, XORs, and
> AES instructions, that are traditionally assumed to be constant-time with
> respect to the data values operated on.

FWIW, I'm not aware of any indication that e.g. "additions, XORs, and
AES instructions" have data-dependent timing on CPUs released so far.

> For details, see the documents from each CPU vendor:
>
> 	Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/software-security-guidance/best-practices/data-operand-independent-timing-isa-guidance.html
> 	Arm: https://developer.arm.com/documentation/ddi0601/2020-12/AArch64-Registers/DIT--Data-Independent-Timing
>
> ... as well as the following discussion on the Linux Kernel Mailing List:
>
> 	https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YwgCrqutxmX0W72r@gmail.com/T/#u
>
> Non-constant-time instructions break cryptographic code that relies on
> constant-time code to prevent timing attacks on cryptographic keys -- i.e., most
> cryptographic code.  This issue may also have a wider impact on the ability of
> operating systems to protect data from unprivileged processes.
>
> For Intel, processors with Ice Lake and later are affected by this issue.
>
> The fix for this issue is to set a CPU flag that restores the old, correct
> behavior of data-independent timing: DIT on Arm, and DOITM on Intel.
>
> Linux v6.2 will enable DIT on Arm, but only in the kernel.  Without any
> additional patches, userspace code will still get data-dependent timing by
> default.  See https://git.kernel.org/linus/01ab991fc0ee5019
>
> No patch has been merged to enable DOITM on Intel processors.  Thus, as-is, it's
> not really possible to safely execute cryptographic algorithms on Linux systems
> that use an Intel processor with Ice Lake or later.  (I'd guess that the same is
> true for other operating systems too; Linux is just the one I'm looking at.)  To
> fix this issue, I've proposed a Linux kernel patch that enables DOITM globally:
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230125012801.362496-1-ebiggers@kernel.org
>
> I consider this issue to be a CPU security vulnerability; it shares many
> characteristics with other CPU security vulnerabilities such as Meltdown and
> Spectre.  However, Intel and Arm do not seem to consider it to be a security
> vulnerability.  No CVEs seem to have been assigned yet.

I _guess_ there several aspects here:

Many Intel CPUs starting with Skylake (Intel Core gen 6) were found to
"delay instruction retirement by, at most, one cycle" for vector
multiplication and bit count, despite of those instructions being on the
list of "Data Operand Independent Timing Instructions" published a bit
earlier (the web page says "Published: 05/10/2022", first copy on the
Internet Archive is June 14, 2022).

For some of those CPUs, Intel included an optional fix for this perhaps
in microcode updates, retroactively calling this "MXCSR Configuration
Dependent Timing (MCDT)" and adding a column "MCDT (MXCSR-Sensitivity)"
to the list/table above.

Separately, Intel and ARM introduced an explicit data independent
timings mode, to allow for later inclusion of timing-unsafe
optimizations when that mode is not enabled.  For Intel, this just
happens to be starting with Ice Lake (gen 10), but there's currently no
indication (from any source I know of) that Ice Lake is special in any
other relevant way.  Specifically, it neither introduced nor fixed the
issue with vector multiplication and bit count mentioned above (the
issue was introduced much earlier than Ice Lake, and apparently fixed
later than Ice Lake - at least it wasn't yet fixed in Alder Lake).

So the only thing changing with Ice Lake appears to be the interface to
requesting the data-independent mode, which changes from ad-hoc MXCSR to
longer-term and standardized DOITM.

Further, given how recently the issue with vector multiplication and bit
count appears to have been found, I expect that a CPU supporting DOITM
does not imply that enabling DOITM fixes that issue.  Indeed, some Ice
Lake and newer CPUs are listed among "Processors That May Exhibit MCDT
Behavior", suggesting that the MXCSR way should still be used on those.

Apparently, it's only with Raptor Lake (gen 13) that DOITM alone is
guaranteed to be sufficient, or/and perhaps the issue is fixed such that
neither way/mode matters (for now, until a future CPU introduces new
optimizations for the no-DOITM case).

The above is just my reading between the lines.  I have no inside info
on any of this, and could have guessed some of it wrong.

Alexander