Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 12:10:03 +0100
From: Ilya Maximets <i.maximets@....org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, ovs-announce@...nvswitch.org,
 ovs-discuss <ovs-discuss@...nvswitch.org>
Cc: i.maximets@....org, Aaron Conole <aconole@...hat.com>,
 Qian Chen <cq674350529@...il.com>, John Helmert III <ajak@...too.org>
Subject: Re: [ADVISORY] LLDP underflow while parsing malformed Auto Attach TLV
 (Open vSwitch)

On 12/20/22 22:39, Ilya Maximets wrote:
> Description
> ===========
>
> Multiple versions of Open vSwitch are vulnerable to crafted LLDP
> packets causing denial of service, and data underflow attacks.
> Triggering the vulnerabilities requires LLDP processing to be enabled
> for a specific port.  Open vSwitch versions prior to 2.4.0 are not
> vulnerable.
>
> The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org)
> did not assign the identifier to this issue yet.  The identifier will
> be communicated separately.

Following CVE identifiers have been allocated for the issue (one per
TLV type since they can have a slightly different effect):

 - CVE-2022-4337 for Out-of-Bounds Read in Organization Specific TLV
 - CVE-2022-4338 for Integer Underflow in Organization Specific TLV

The fix referenced in this advisory covers both issues.

> This issue does not affect the `lldpd'
> project, although they share a code base.  The issue is related to
> parsing the Auto Attach TLVs, which is specific to the Open vSwitch
> implementation.
>

> Mitigation
> ==========
>
> For any version of Open vSwitch, preventing LLDP packets from reaching
> Open vSwitch mitigates the vulnerability.  We do not recommend
> attempting to mitigate the vulnerability this way because of the
> following difficulties:
>
>     - Open vSwitch obtains packets before the iptables host firewall,
>       so ebtables on the Open vSwitch host cannot ordinarily block the
>       vulnerability.
>
>     - If Open vSwitch is configured to receive and transmit LLDP
>       messages, the required functionality will need to be disabled
>       potentially disrupting the network.
>
> We have found that Open vSwitch is subject to a denial of service, and
> possibly a remote code execution exploit when LLDP processing is enabled
> on an interface.  By default, interfaces are not configured to process
> LLDP messages.
>

> Fix
> ===
>
> Patches to fix these vulnerabilities in Open vSwitch 2.13.x and newer are
> applied to the appropriate branches, and the original patch is located
> at:
>
>    https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2022-December/400596.html
>
> Recommendation
> ==============
>
> We recommend that users of Open vSwitch apply the respective patch, or
> upgrade to a known patched version of Open vSwitch.  These include:
>
> * 3.0.3
> * 2.17.5
> * 2.16.6
> * 2.15.7
> * 2.14.8
> * 2.13.10
>

> Acknowledgments
>
> The Open vSwitch team wishes to thank the reporter:
>
>   Qian Chen <cq674350529@...il.com>

Download attachment "OpenPGP_0xB9F7EC77C829BF96.asc" of type "application/pgp-keys" (4740 bytes)

Download attachment "OpenPGP_signature" of type "application/pgp-signature" (841 bytes)