Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 18:41:13 -0500
From: John Helmert III <ajak@...too.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenSSL X.509 Email Address 4-byte Buffer
 Overflow (CVE-2022-3602), X.509 Email Address Variable Length Buffer
 Overflow (CVE-2022-3786)

On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 11:24:08AM -0700, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 03:09:21PM +0100, Hanno Böck wrote:
> > FWIW it only takes a basically trivial fuzz target on the affected
> > function to find this bug with libfuzzer.
>
> I'm not sure what the value is of all this Monday-morning
> quarterbacking, from 'basically trivial' fuzzing to code-quality
> comparisons of hypothetical Rust ports.  OpenSSL's development process
> has a bad rap, and there are definitely some easy wins to be had.
> Posting "if they'd only adopted my pet practice" to oss-sec isn't fixing
> anything in the OpenSSL project.  Please consider directing fuzzing
> advice and PL theory directly to the project?  I agree there would be
> benefit to this stuff, but dunking on them on unrelated lists isn't
> getting the medicine to the patient.

I don't read it (Hanno's point) as a 'dunk', some information on how
this kind of thing might be prevented in the future certainly has
value here.

> Respectfully,
> khm

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (229 bytes)