Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:26:35 +0100
From: Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, dbus-security@...ts.freedesktop.org
Cc: Demi Marie Obenour <demi@...isiblethingslab.com>
Subject: Re: dbus denial of service: CVE-2022-42010, -42011,
 -42012

On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 at 13:00:03 -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 04:40:10PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > CVE-2022-42012 (which involves a
> > message that is odd but technically valid)
>
> Should different-endian messages over AF_UNIX sockets just be rejected
> outright?

Probably not. I believe that would regress the ability to interoperate
with dbus-java, which can receive either endianness but always sends
big-endian messages.

It could also be annoying for proxying/forwarding tools like systemd's
systemd-stdio-bridge, which is used to forward D-Bus connections to a
remote bus's AF_UNIX socket via ssh (obviously out-of-band fd-passing
like the feature that triggers CVE-2022-42012 can't work that way, but
most of D-Bus is in-band), depending on whether systemd-stdio-bridge
deserializes and reserializes messages or whether it just streams data
without understanding its internal structure. There's nothing to stop
you from using a client on a little-endian PC to debug a service on a
big-endian embedded device over a ssh tunnel using systemd-stdio-bridge
or even socat, but in that scenario, each end of the connection will
be sending messages in its own endianness and receiving messages in the
other endianness.

If I was designing D-Bus today, I'd probably pick a canonical endianness
and stick to it (more like GVariant, parts of which are always LE),
but it's too late for that: the "wire protocol" has been stable since
about 2006, which was before I got involved.

    smcv