Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:40:10 +0100
From: Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, dbus-security@...ts.freedesktop.org
Cc: Demi Marie Obenour <demi@...isiblethingslab.com>
Subject: Re: dbus denial of service: CVE-2022-42010, -42011,
 -42012

On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 at 10:53:15 -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> Is the memory corruption potentially exploitable for local privilege
> escalation?

It is not known to be, but also not known not to be. I'm sure a
sufficiently creative attacker can convert almost any memory corruption
into arbitrary code execution, but exploit development is not my job
(I'd rather fix the vulnerabilities!), so I have not attempted to
weaponize this.

> Are clients using libdbus vulnerable if they are behind dbus-broker?

I don't maintain dbus-broker and have not tested or audited it, so
I don't know how much validation it does. I would hope that it would
detect and prevent CVE-2022-42011 and CVE-2022-42010 (which involve
invalid messages), but probably not CVE-2022-42012 (which involves a
message that is odd but technically valid).

    smcv