Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 20:47:21 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Evgeny Legerov <admin@...ndisco.cc>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Exim 4.95 invalid free

Hi Evgeny,

Thank you for starting to bring relevant issues to oss-security!

In that guideline John quoted, we really do mean that each "message
should remain valuable even with all of the external resources gone."
Adding a second link helps, but not enough to satisfy this requirement.

Yet I understand we cannot really ask you for more, and a brief
link-only heads-up is better than none.

So maybe others in here can be filling in the gaps (in follow-up
postings) in cases like this.  In fact, some had volunteered:

"Help ensure that each message posted to oss-security contains the most
essential information (e.g., vulnerability detail and/or exploit)
directly in the message itself (and in plain text) rather than only by
reference to an external resource, and add the missing information
(e.g., in your own words, by quoting with proper attribution, and/or by
creating and attaching a properly attributed text/plain export of a
previously referenced web page) and remind the original sender of this
requirement (for further occasions) in a "reply" posting when necessary
- primary: Oracle Solaris, backup: Container-Optimized OS"

So maybe the Oracle Solaris and/or the Container-Optimized OS folks can
be the ones to extract the vulnerability description and PoC from
https://github.com/ivd38/exim_invalid_free and the patch from
https://github.com/Exim/exim/commit/51be321b27825c01829dffd90f11bfff256f7e42
and attach them to a "reply" in this thread?  And similar for the "zlib
buffer overflow" thread nearby.

Speaking of the actual issue/fix, I wonder if it's considered acceptable
in Exim to use unchecked strdup() in general or in this specific place,
with the possibility of the PAM response pointer being NULL on an
out-of-memory condition.  Perhaps an oversight, as I'd expect at least a
comment on this otherwise.

Thanks,

Alexander