Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 10:13:32 +0200
From: Mariusz Felisiak <felisiak.mariusz@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Django: CVE-2022-34265: Potential SQL injection via Trunc(kind) and
 Extract(lookup_name) arguments.

https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2022/jul/04/security-releases/

In accordance with `our security release policy
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/security/>`_, the
Django team
is issuing
`Django 4.0.6 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/4.0.6/>`_ and
`Django 3.2.14 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.2.14/>`_.
These release addresses the security issue detailed below. We encourage all
users of Django to upgrade as soon as possible.

CVE-2022-34265: Potential SQL injection via ``Trunc(kind)`` and
``Extract(lookup_name)`` arguments

``Trunc()`` and ``Extract()`` database functions were
subject to SQL injection if untrusted data was used as a
``kind``/``lookup_name`` value.

Applications that constrain the lookup name and kind choice to a known safe
list are unaffected.

This security release mitigates the issue, but we have identified
improvements
to the Database API methods related to date extract and truncate that
would be
beneficial to add to Django 4.1 before it's final release. This will
impact 3rd
party database backends using Django 4.1 release candidate 1 or newer,
until they
are able to update to the API changes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks Takuto Yoshikai (Aeye Security Lab) for the report.

This issue has severity "high" according to the Django security policy.

Affected supported versions
===========================

* Django main branch
* Django 4.1 (currently at beta status)
* Django 4.0
* Django 3.2

Resolution
==========

Patches to resolve the issue have been applied to Django's main branch
and to
the 4.1, 4.0, and 3.2 release branches. The patches may be obtained from the
following changesets:

* On the `main branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/54eb8a374d5d98594b264e8ec22337819b37443c>`__
* On the `4.1 release branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/284b188a4194e8fa5d72a73b09a869d7dd9f0dc5>`__
* On the `4.0 release branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/0dc9c016fadb71a067e5a42be30164e3f96c0492>`__
* On the `3.2 release branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/a9010fe5555e6086a9d9ae50069579400ef0685e>`__

The following releases have been issued:

* Django 4.0.6 (`download Django 4.0.6
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/4.0/Django-4.0.6.tar.gz>`_ |
`4.0.6 checksums
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-4.0.6.checksum.txt>`_)
* Django 3.2.14 (`download Django 3.2.14
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/3.2/Django-3.2.14.tar.gz>`_ |
`3.2.14 checksums
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-3.2.14.checksum.txt>`_)

The PGP key ID used for this release is Mariusz Felisiak:
`2EF56372BA48CD1B <https://github.com/felixxm.gpg>`_.

General notes regarding security reporting