Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 11:17:52 -0700
From: Philip Pettersson <philip.pettersson@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>, peterz@...radead.org, nslusarek@....net
Subject: Re: CVE-2022-1729: race condition in Linux perf
 subsystem leads to local privilege escalation

Hi Norbert & list,

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 3:23 PM Norbert Slusarek <nslusarek@....net> wrote:
> I don't intend to share the exploit to the public, mainly because
> the issue was fixed only few days ago. Instead, anyone wanting to check
> his own system for the bug should resort to the attached PoC repro.

I think it's important to remember that closed mailing lists filled
with private/embargoed exploits become valuable targets. They have
been compromised ever since Zardoz in the 1980s, vendor-sec was
discontinued for the same reason. By keeping zerodays in linux-distros
you paint a target on every recipient of the list. You should assume
that any working exploit code you share to a mailing list will
eventually fall into the hands of bad actors. Therefore, I don't think
selective full-disclosure works.

Regards,
Philip