Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 20:53:06 +0100
From: Sam James <sam@...too.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com

> On 22 May 2022, at 20:46, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 09:12:25PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
>> Taking this a bit further, why is the kernel "special" for something
>> like this?  Why wouldn't this also apply to any other project with a
>> reasonable number of developers where you want additional review and
>> acceptance of changes before the world is notified that an issue was
>> fixed?  That allows issues to be fixed, and to be in place on users
>> systems before the issue is made public.
>>
>> I would imagine that projects like Kubernetes, or Jenkins, or Docker or
>> Mozilla or Chrome or other large systems would also fall into this
>> category.  Heck, smaller projects too, the size shouldn't matter, what
>> matters is that users have the ability to upgrade before security issues
>> are told to the world, ensuring that user's systems are safe.
>
> For issues commonly brought to (linux-)distros, we currently only
> encounter this sort of conflicting preferences with the Linux kernel
> community.  I guess some other projects also release silent fixes that
> are only later documented to have known security relevance.  Maybe our
> policy plays a role in non-reporting of such issues to distros, or maybe
> not.  For example, we generally do not receive reports of
> vulnerabilities in Firefox and Chrome/ium to the distros list, but I
> don't recall anyone ever expressing any unhappiness about that - neither
> those projects nor the distros.  So it's kind of fine?

I (and ajak) have expressed some frustration with how WebKit handles
their disclosures but that's not something you (or *-distros) is able
to control.

From what I understand of Firefox and Chromium, they both have
sufficient CI abilities and internal review to not have the same kind
of problem the kernel has (with its open development model).

>> it's your list, not mine, if
>> you are tired of running it, I totally understand.
>
> A bit tired, yes, but that's in part because of us fighting each other's
> windmills.

Thank you for continuing to do it.

> Alexander

best,
sam

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (619 bytes)