Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 15:10:41 +0300
From: ariel.byd@...il.com
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: zlib memory corruption on deflate (i.e. compress)

If the match lengths are uniformly distributed between 3 and 258, you’ll get exactly 8 bits per length - not less due to entropy considerations, not more since N-3 is a valid Huffman encoding with 8 bits per character.

Actually, maybe not. I think 258 can be encoded as either “284 31” or “285”, and if the encoder always chooses the “285” encoding (leaving “284 31” useless) you might have 257 characters, you might need some 9-bit characters. I think it’s possible to bound that by 1/64 bit per character but I have not proven it.

Similarly for distances uniformly distributed between 1 and 32768.

That’s a total of 23 bits per code.