Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:32:44 -0500
From: Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
To: "Liu, Congyu" <liu3101@...due.edu>
Cc: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Linux kernel: potential net namespace bug in IPv6 flow label management

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 11:11 AM Willem de Bruijn
<willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 5:31 AM Liu, Congyu <liu3101@...due.edu> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > In the test conducted on namespace, I found that one unsuccessful IPv6 flow label
> > management from one net ns could stop other net ns's data transmission that requests
> > flow label for a short time. Specifically, in our test case, one unsuccessful
> > `setsockopt` to get flow label will affect other net ns's `sendmsg` with flow label
> > set in cmsg. Simple PoC is included for verification. The behavior descirbed above
> > can be reproduced in latest kernel.
> >
> > I managed to figure out the data flow behind this: when asking to get a flow label,
> > some `setsockopt` parameters can trigger function `ipv6_flowlabel_get` to call `fl_create`
> > to allocate an exclusive flow label, then call `fl_release` to release it before returning
> > -ENOENT. Global variable `ipv6_flowlabel_exclusive`, a rate limit jump label that keeps
> > track of number of alive exclusive flow labels, will get increased instantly after calling
> > `fl_create`. Due to its rate limit design, `ipv6_flowlabel_exclusive` can only decrease
> > sometime later after calling `fl_decrease`. During this period, if data transmission function
> > in other net ns (e.g. `udpv6_sendmsg`) calls `fl_lookup`, the false `ipv6_flowlabel_exclusive`
> > will invoke the `__fl_lookup`. In the test case observed, this function returns error and
> > eventually stops the data transmission.
> >
> > I further noticed that this bug could somehow be vulnerable: if `setsockopt` is called
> > continuously, then `sendmmsg` call from other net ns will be blocked forever. Using the PoC
> > provided, if attack and victim programs are running simutaneously, victim program cannot transmit
> > data; when running without attack program, the victim program can transmit data normally.
>
> Thanks for the clear explanation.
>
> Being able to use flowlabels without explicitly registering them
> through a setsockopt is a fast path optimization introduced in commit
> 59c820b2317f ("ipv6: elide flowlabel check if no exclusive leases
> exist").
>
> Before this, any use of flowlabels required registering them, whether
> the use was exclusive or not. As autoflowlabels already skipped this
> stateful action, the commit extended this fast path to all non-exclusive
> use. But if any exclusive flowlabel is active, to protect it, all
> other flowlabel use has to be registered too.
>
> The commit message does state
>
>     This is an optimization. Robust applications still have to revert to
>     requesting leases if the fast path fails due to an exclusive lease.
>
> Though I can see how the changed behavior has changed the perception of the API.
>
> That this extends up to a second after release of the last exclusive
> flowlabel due to deferred release is only tangential to the issue?
>
> Flowlabels are stored globally, but associated with a netns
> (fl->fl_net). Perhaps we can add a per-netns check to the
> [...]

To clarify, I don't consider this a vulnerability.

The issue is under the control of the victim. It can avoid the ENOENT
by requesting the flowlabel it intends to use.

I have responded with more technical detail on the Linux kernel
netdev list:

https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/CA+FuTScRGQV5ePxbu7LReuAUc_AU3sQd7Mb8KGVmu+X2jSQSCQ@mail.gmail.com/T/#m01181a0b1ac93f560275175b1b23a8b6f9e0fe45