Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 17:51:08 -0400
From: Santiago Torres <torresariass@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Trojan Source Attacks

On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 09:51:38PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Monday 2021-11-01 18:27, Nicholas Boucher wrote:
> >
> >We have identified an issue affecting all compilers and interpreters that support Unicode.
> >[...]
> >The attached paper describes an attack paradigm -- which we believe to be novel -- discovered by security researchers at the
> >University of Cambridge.
>
> Not so novel. At one time, this picture made the rounds
> (https://twitter.com/acronis/status/1019152990022787072 - the pic is likely
> older than this 2018 tweet), and anyone who knew that Unicode had zero-width
> characters already made the connection.

Along the same lines, there were a myriad of attacks using bash-style
sequences to obscure parts of patches inside of git show/git log/less/
other pagers not too long ago (circa 2017, maybe?). We even discussed
similar possibilities on this paper[1] (sec 4.3) when mentioning git
commit signing of content displayed on collaborative coding platforms.

Overall there's a plethora of work around "punycode meets tool X" that
I'm surprised this is called novel.

Cheers!
-Santiago

[1] https://ssl.engineering.nyu.edu/papers/afzali_asiaccs_2018.pdf

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)