Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 17:27:53 +0000
From: Nicholas Boucher <nicholas.boucher@...cam.ac.uk>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Trojan Source Attacks

OSS Security teams,

We have identified an issue affecting all compilers and interpreters
that support Unicode. We believe that the techniques described hereafter
can be used to generate adversarial encodings of source code files that
can be used to craft targeted attacks against source code that cannot be
seen by human reviewers in rendered text. This is of concern to the open
source community because, absent defenses, supply chain attacks can be
imperceptibly mounted against the ecosystem.

This vulnerability has undergone a coordinated disclosure process that
has concluded today. The security advisory can be found at
https://trojansource.codes.

Multiple organizations will be releasing parallel security advisories,
such as Rust's advisory at
https://blog.rust-lang.org/2021/11/01/cve-2021-42574.html, Red Hat's
advisory at
https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/RHSB-2021-007
<https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/RHSB-2021-007>, and
GitHub's advisory at
https://github.blog/changelog/2021-10-31-warning-about-bidirectional-unicode-text/
<https://github.blog/changelog/2021-10-31-warning-about-bidirectional-unicode-text/>.

The attached paper describes an attack paradigm -- which we believe to
be novel -- discovered by security researchers at the University of
Cambridge. There are two techniques for attack, both of which exploit
Unicode's high expressiveness to craft source code files for which
rendered text displays divergent logic from the underlying encoded bytes
seen by compilers.

The first and primary technique, which we dub the Trojan Source attack,
uses Unicode Bidirectional (Bidi) control characters embedded in
comments and string literals to produce visually deceptive source code
files. This technique enables an adversary to encode constructs that
visually appear to be comments or string literals but execute as code,
or vice versa. Complete details, as well as recommended mitigations, can
be found in the attachment 001 Trojan Source.pdf. This vulnerability is
tracked under CVE-2021-42574.

The second technique, to which we refer as the homoglyph variant, uses
homoglyphs (characters that render to the same glyph but are represented
by different Unicode values) to define adversarial identifiers. In this
technique, an adversary defines an identifier such as a function name
that appears visually identical to a target function, but is defined
using Unicode homoglyphs. This adversarial function then performs some
malicious action, then optionally calls the original function it is
impersonating. When defined in upstream dependencies such as open source
software, these adversarial functions can be imported into downstream
software and invoked without visual indication of malicious code.
Complete details, as well as recommended mitigations, can also be found
in the attachment 001 Trojan Source.pdf. This vulnerability is tracked
under CVE-2021-42694.

Proofs-of-concept can be found at
https://github.com/nickboucher/trojan-source.

We hope that this information proves useful in building and applying
defenses where applicable.

Best,
Nicholas Boucher
University of Cambridge

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "001 Trojan Source.pdf" of type "application/pdf" (737637 bytes)

Download attachment "OpenPGP_0x5662BCEC5F1D2BEA.asc" of type "application/pgp-keys" (3160 bytes)

Download attachment "OpenPGP_signature" of type "application/pgp-signature" (841 bytes)