Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 08:16:34 +0200
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: STARTTLS vulnerabilities

Hi,

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:41:56 +0200
Guido Berhoerster <guido+openwall.com@...hoerster.name> wrote:

> have you or are you planning to look into XMPP client/server
> implementations as well?  The use of STARTTLS for both c2s and s2s
> connections is still prevalent both in terms of implementation
> support and actual practice and could potentially suffer form the
> same issues (command injection or downgrade attacks).

We have not looked much into other protocols, and given how much time
we've already spent on the topic I think it is unlikely that we will do
this.

Of course it's a very obvious idea for further research to look if one
finds similar vulnerabilities to the ones we found in other protocols.
So I'd really like to encourage other people to look for this.

FWIW there are a lot of protocols with a STARTTLS mechanism, here's the
list of supported protocols by OpenSSL:
	smtp
	pop3
	imap